- Vista installation instructions
- bgmninstall was changed for being Vista-save. Now,
bgmninstall will install BGMNwin in the user space for every
user. So, you must install bgmninstall each for every user of the PC.
In addition, you must disable the user account control:
Log in as Administrator, select
control panel→user accounts→user account control
and switch it off.
You must reboot to take this change affect.
Log in as a normal user. Run bgmninstall as that user.
Repeat that for every user you want. Log in as Adminstrator,
switch on user account control, reboot. BGMNwin itself will run
with user account control enabled.
- Old command line version of BGMN plus related programs:
Why do the programs not run?
- At fist, you must set up the PC as follows:
On Winxx later to Win98 you must assist your system administrator,
at least for resetting the PATH variable.
- Create a new directory in your PC directories, for example with name
- Set up an environment Variable
EFLECH which points
to the full directory path of that directory. If you are a Linux
user and your shell is bash, include the line
- Add this directory to your
PATH environment variable.
This may done by the command
into your .bashrc if you use Linux/bash shell.
If the programs do not run further:
Probably, you have started BGMN (or another program) by
double clicking in the Windows file manager. This doesn't work!
The EXE's all together are designed to run in a command line screen.
At first, you must open such a screen for Win32 programs (Linux:
a terminal). BGMN and all the other executables are called in an unified
bgmn name-of-the-sav-file [ other-parameters ... ]
geomet name-of-the-sav-file [ other-parameters ... ]
makegeq name-of-the-sav-file [ other-parameters ... ]
output name-of-the-sav-file [ other-parameters ... ]
show name-of-the-sav-file [ other-parameters ... ]
showger name-of-the-sav-file [ other-parameters ... ]
teil name-of-the-sav-file [ other-parameters ... ]
eflech name-of-the-sav-file [ other-parameters ... ]
index name-of-the-sav-file [ other-parameters ... ]
There is no other input to the command line while the programs are
running. The executables are designed for automatic batch mode.
- BGMNwin for Windows: bgmninstall aborts
- BGMNwin needs (and checks for) a sufficient runtime of Java.
Probably, your Windows comes with a preinstalled Java plugin
for the Internet Explorer. This is not sufficient, you need a
Java runtime for standalone Java programs. Please check if such
Java plugin is instaled as follows:
If a version number equal or above 1.3.0 is shown,
the Java environment is installed. Otherwise, Java runtimes
are available at
- Open a "DOS" like command prompt at your PC
and hit the enter key.
- How to install the BGMNwin version for Linux?
- BGMNwin for Linux is a "per user" distribution. That means
it doesn't use the common Unix trees, but all should be
installed into one directory (recommended bgmnwin) in your
home directory. You need only two steps to get BGMNwin running:
Now you may start BGMNwin by typing bgmnwin on any local terminal.
If it still fails executing, read the comments about Java in the
- Edit the executable file bgmnwin as distributed with this package,
set the directory you have chosen for BGMNwin.
- Extend the PATH variable to this dirctory or better:
copy bgmnwin to your bin directory.
Attention: If you use an 64 bit linux, please confirm the
ia32libs packet is installed. If you use a 64 bit
JAVA runtime too, you must confirm having the
ia32-java-gcj-compat installed too. For example in an
UBUNTU standard system, both the packets were not installed.
- Is it possible to use BGMN without a calculated instrumental
- Yes. For instance to refine synchrotron data.
For the instrumental function a formula may be used:
S is the width of the receiving slit and
R is the
measuring circle radius of the goniometer. Or, set an appropriate with
Or better: Use the learnet profiles feature.
- Why the calculated lattice constants are not correct?
Please check the values of the zero point and the displacement parameter.
Often a to large zero point parameter with a corresponding large displacement
parameter is calculated. As a result the lattice constants are faulty.
In this case the zero point should be refined with a narrow variation range:
- Where is the background?
BGMN automatically determines the necessary order of a polynomial background
and fits it. In the BGMNwin diagram output is is shown as a separate blue line,
browse to the wanted *.dia file and select it.
Manual predetermination of background is not recommended.
- And the last FAQ:Where does the name BGMN come from?
- It was my personal punchcard identification code in the early 1980ies.